Solar System Webquest
Who needs a rocket when you can journey through the universe via the Internet? Up, up and away...
A solar system consists of the Sun and the celestial bodies which are bound to its field of gravity. These celestial bodies include asteroids, meteors, satellites or moons, comets and planets. The planets in our solar system each have their own distinct characteristics, some of which are directly related to their distance from the Sun.
A Journey Into Space Without Leaving the Classroom
Unfortunately, you cannot actually travel through space, because you are still in the 5th grade! Through this webquest you can! You will collect information about each of the planets' unique characteristics, and then use that data to create a series of postcards about your travels. You will want to use the attached chart to take notes during your journey,
1. What are the three characteristics needed to be labeled a planet?
2. Using the list below record important statistics for each planet?
- Distance from the sun
- Mass of each planet
- Physical Characteristics
- Length of a year on each planet
- Length of day on each planet
- Average temperature on each planet
- Your weight if you were visiting that planet
3. What are some other interesting facts about each planet?
Evaluation: Once you have collected data for each of the planets, you will be assigned to create a series of postcards for three planets selected .
1. You will be creating one postcard for each planet you research
2. The front of your postcard will include an illustration. (5 points)
3. Included with your postcard should be five to eight facts about the planet. These will be taken directly from your research, and the notes that you created. (15 points)
Do not simply list the facts. Incorporate them into the body of your postcard naturally — as if you were having a conversation with someone about what you learned or saw on your journey.
4. Postcards will be graded for appropriate writing conventions like spelling, punctuation and capitalization. (5 points)
Conclusion: Based on the information you collected during your journey to the various planets, which planet was your favorite? Send Mrs. Yoder an email explaining your selection and why.